The Department of Indigenous Affairs’ Land Branch has a number of primary functions:
- The effective and efficient day-to-day management of the Aboriginal Lands Trust and the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority lands.
- The development and management of Branch operations and strategic initiatives in accordance with the Aboriginal Lands Trust Strategic Plan.
- Facilitating the transfer of Aboriginal Lands Trust land to Indigenous people.
- Providing advice and support to the Aboriginal Lands Trust , the Commissioner of Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority, Indigenous people, the Minister, Government and key stakeholders in relation to management of Aboriginal Lands Trust and Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority land.
The operation of the Land Branch comprises two teams, Land Operations and Strategic Land Initiatives. Both work in conjunction with each other to undertake the primary functions of the Branch.
In managing the Branch’s primary functions, the Land Operations team:
- Establishes and enhances strategic alliances with key stakeholders and manages the estate to meet the Aboriginal Lands Trust's statutory and duty of care responsibilities;
- Leads the operational aspects of estate management and transfer in accordance with the Aboriginal Lands Trust Strategic Plan; and
- Provides advice and actively contributes to the development of policy frameworks on land related issues.
Contact – Manager, Land Operations, (08) 9235 8000
Strategic Land Initiatives
In managing the Branch’s primary functions, the Strategic Land Initiatives team:
- Provides high level strategic advice and support to the Land Operations team and the Aboriginal Lands Trust;
- Coordinates and participates in the development and implementation of strategic initiatives and projects on the Aboriginal Lands Trust estate; and
- Coordinates advice on policies and issues relevant to DIA and the Aboriginal Lands Trust Strategic Plan, and the review and development of policies related to the management of the Aboriginal Lands Trust estate.
Contact – Manager, Strategic Land Initiatives, (08) 9235 8000.
There are a number of activities that are central to the delivery of the primary functions of the Land Branch:
Development proposals on the Aboriginal Lands Trust estate
Land and sea management
Details of Aboriginal Lands Trust Estate (by DIA Region) (downloadable PDF 114 kB)
For information on the Aboriginal Lands Trust and the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority estate, contact the Land Information Manager on (08) 9235 8000.
Frequently asked questions about Aboriginal and Aboriginal Lands Trust land