New version of AHIS
On the 29th of May at 5pm a new version of the Aboriginal Heritage Inquiry System will be launched.
The new version will work on all systems including mobile and tablet devices. For more details please refer to the updated AHIS user guide.
We welcome feedback, please provide this via the Feedback link in AHIS or on the DAA website.
Aboriginal Site and Other Heritage Place Search
Access to information that the Department of Aboriginal Affairs (DAA) holds in relation to registered Aboriginal Sites and other heritage places is available via:
- The Aboriginal Heritage Inquiry System (AHIS) which is an internet based search tool.
- Refer to the AHIS Getting Started and AHIS User Guide for tips to assist you. Anyone is able to look up information on this system. Please note that the AHIS is unavailable from 7-7.30pm daily, and it may also be unavailable on Saturday mornings due to scheduled website maintenance (Western Australian time).
- However, if you wish to download spatial information, you will need to apply for a Licensing Agreement for the Transfer and Use of Digital Information.
- Appointments can be made to view hardcopy files and reports at DAA's office at 151 Royal St, East Perth by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning (08) 6551 8000.
- Email or USB. To access the Department of Aboriginal Affairs' site files and heritage survey reports electronically please complete a DAA Site File Access Request Form and email it to email@example.com.
If you wish to provide information about a possible Aboriginal Site, including information that is additional to what is on the AHIS or hardcopy files refer to Report a Site.
If you are undertaking activity on a piece of land it is recommended that you refer to Land Use Overview.
The AHIS provides details about:
- the location and extent of each place. Note: to preserve confidentiality, the exact location and extent of some places are not displayed on the map; however a shaded region (generally with an area of at least 4km²) provides a general indication of where the place is located.
- the assessment status of each place under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972:
- Registered Site: The place has been assessed as meeting Section 5 of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972
- Other Heritage Place which includes:
- Stored Data / Not a Site: The place has been assessed as not meeting Section 5 of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972
- Lodged: Information has been received in relation to the place, but an assessment has not been completed to determine if it meets Section 5 of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972
- any access restrictions to additional information that DAA holds in relation to the place.
- gender restrictions.
The following copyright applies to maps and images on AHIS:
- Geoscience Australia Copyright for topographic map information shall at all times remain the property of the Commonwealth of Australia, Geoscience Australia, National Mapping Division. All rights reserved. (2005).
- Microsoft Bing Maps Satellite and road base maps copyright © 2015 Microsoft Corporation and its data suppliers.
- State of Western Australia:
- Aerial Photography, Cadastre, Local Government Authority, and Native Title boundary data copyright © Western Australian Land Information Authority trading as Landgate (2015).
- Copyright for Geothermal Application, Geothermal Title, Mining Tenement, Petroleum Application, and Petroleum Title boundaries shall at all times remain the property of the State of Western Australia, Department of Mines and Petroleum. All rights reserved.
The information provided is made available in good faith and is predominately based on the information provided to the Department of Aboriginal Affairs (DAA) by third parties. The information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment as to the accuracy of the information. If you find any errors or omissions in our records, including our maps, it would be appreciated if you email the details to DAA at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make every effort to rectify it as soon as possible.